If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese BBQ Pork Bun are. Char Siu pork is important ingredient for many Chinese. Cha Siu Bao is one of the most popular bread in Cantonese- baked soft bun with char Siu pork and has savoury taste.
The bun adopt in water roux method, which give the pillow soft texture even after reheating. With the char Siu pork filling. It’s easy to make. So let start baking…😊
For the Buns
- 5 cups Bread flour plus 1/3 cup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/3 cup milk, divided
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- eggwash( 1 egg beaten with 1tbsp milk)
- 1 tbsp sesame seed
For the filling
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oysters sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stocks
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups diced Chinese roast pork (char Siu )
- In a medium saucepan, mix 1/3 cup flour with 2/3 cup water 1/3 cup milk stir until flour dissolved. Put the pan over medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture resembles a thick paste, about 3-5 minutes. Then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Then add the flour paste ( roux mixture),1 cup milk, 2 eggs and softened butter. Stir to form a soft dough, and knead ( by hand or with stand mixer) for about 15-20 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and place into lightly greased bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for one hour.
- While the dough is in rising process, make the meat filling. Heat the oil in a wok or pan over medium high heat, add the shallots and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add sugar, soy sauce, oysters sauce, sesame oil and dark soy sauce, stir and cook until it starts to bubble up. Then add the chicken stocks and flour, reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring for a couple minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the roast pork. Then set aside to cool.
- After it has risen, divide the dough into 16 equal pieces, shape each piece into a small circle, where the center is slightly thicker than the edges. Fill each with meat filling, and crimp them closed, make sure they’re tightly sealed. Lay them out seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, let them rise for another one hour .
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C . Brush with eggwash, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put them in the oven and immediately turn the oven down from 200 C to 175 C . Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown
Hope you give a try for my recipe 😊🙏.