Airy, fluffy and delicate chiffon cake with fruit filling and topping. Swiss buttercream frosting. Chiffon cake is one on my honey favourite dessert that’s why I frequent to make this kind of cake. It’s not hard to make as long as you can make a delicate, frothy meringue with egg whites and white sugar.
For the cake
- 75 grams cake flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 85 grams granulated sugar divided into two parts
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For filling and topping
- 1 can mixed fruit unsweetened ( drained the syrup)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter ( room temperature)
- 3 egg whites ( room temperature)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp champagne
- Pre heat the oven to 170 C . Separate 3 egg to yolk and white. In large bowl combine yolk and 1 part of sugar whisk until creamy pale yellow, then add vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon zest mix until well combined.
- Sift cake flour and baking powder into the egg mixture, whisk until totally incorporated, make sure no lumps and set aside. Using stand mixer or hand mixer beat the egg whites on medium low speed until foamy and bubbly. Gradually add the second part of sugar continue beating, increase speed to high, for about 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in 1/3 of the egg whites to the batter until mixture is homogeneous. Then fold the rest of the egg whites carefully fold until all combined.
- Pour the batter into 2 round 6″ cake pan equally. To remove the air bubbles before baking, run a skewer or spatula through the batter and drop the pan gently on the counter for few times.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. As soon as you take out the cake from oven drop upside down to the cooling rack to avoid shrinking. Let cool for about 20 minutes. To remove the cake from pan, simply run the knife around the side and place them to the serving tray.
- To make the Swiss butter cream. Combine 3/4 cup of sugar and water in a small saucepan bring to boil at 120 F using candy thermometer. Beat the egg whites till foamy then gently add the sugar syrup increase speed to high beat for about 7 minutes then gradually add the butter, continue beating until well incorporated, then add 2 tbsp of champagne beat until combined. Transfer the frosting to piping bag with the round tip.
- Layer the cake pipe the frosting then add the mix fruit filling. Then pipe the frosting around the cake and add the toppings.
You can serve after you make or chilled before serving. I add also the peony flower is made in my last post. This is optional. Make sure mixed fruit bit dry before adding into the cake. As we know chiffon is very light cake.
Hope you Cake a try for my recipe. Happy New Year