This savoury radish( sometimes called turnip) cake is very traditional dish often served in the dim sum houses. This recipe is my own version although there’s alot of ways to make this recipe. You can certainly make adjustments to the recipe….including the amount of sausage, shrimp, radish, scallion, scallops you add.
And this cake is very famous in Chinese Lunar New Year. That’s why I decided to make since lunar new year is coming.
- 40 oz. radish( grated)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stocks
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp chopped
- 5 pieces mushrooms
- 1 Chinese sausage chopped
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried scallops
- Pinch of white pepper
- X. O sauce for dipping or chilli sauce
- In a large pan or wok, combine the grated radish and water bring to simmer for about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally so the radish will not get brown. The radish produces liquid, some will evaporate cook until the radish looks transparent then can get one cup of its water. Remove from the fire and separate the one cup of its water let the radish cool.
- In small saucepan heat the oil and fry the shrimp, mushrooms, sausage and scallops stir and cook for about 5 minutes then add the chopped scallions stir for awhile then remove from the heat to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice flour, salt , sugar, and white pepper stir to combine, then add the radish and one cup water from radish mix well until dry ingredients well-incorporated. Then add the cooked shrimp, mushrooms, scallops and sausage, remember to reserve some for the toppings. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir the batter before pouring into the steaming pan, place the pan into the steamer with plenty of water and steamed over medium high heat for about 50 minutes.
- Remove the radish cake from steamer and let the cake set for about 30minute once it completely cooled remove from the pan. Then using the sharp knife sliced the cake for about 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- In small skillet add oil then fry the radish cake on both side until golden brown and crispy.
- You can enjoy to ate when it’s hot and dipped into the X.O sauce. You can keep the cake atleast 2 weeks inside the fridge. Just fry anytime you want to eat.
Hope you give a try for my recipe 😊🙏