Sansrival literally means ” without rival “. It’s a Filipino dessert that is decidely French in origin. Layer of ” dacquoise ( meringue made with nuts) are sandwich together with French buttercream and covered with chopped cashew nut , in other words the star for this recipe is cashew nuts. Chewy, sweet and full of flavor…..
For the Meringue:
- 10 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cup ( 1 cup chopped and 1 cup finely ground
- 1/4 cocoa powder ( optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare four 8inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl , whip the egg whites until they become frothy. Add in the cream of tartar and continue beat. Gradually add the sugar continue beat until all the sugar incorporated and the egg whites are glossy stiff peaks.
- Fold in the 1 cup finely ground cashew, cocoa powder and salt. Divide the meringue in four equal part and bake for 30 minutes. While the meringue still warm remove from the pan and parchment paper. Because the paper more difficult to remove when they are cooled.
- When the meringue are fully cooled lime them all and trim the edges evenly and set aside.
- Then prepare the Buttercream. Beat the egg yolks until thickened and double in volume. Heat the sugar and water until the mixture reaches 235 degrees F . Slowly pour into the egg mixture increased the mixer to the high speed.
- Once the sugar mixture is completely incorporated, continue beating on high speed for about 15 minutes or until the mixture has reached room temperature. Then add in the butter beat and vanilla extract continue beating until incorporated and fluffy.
- To assemble ; place the meringue on the cake board and spread a thin layer of buttercream on top , then add the second layer repeat until all layer are stacked and lightly frosted.
- Then apply generous amounts of the chopped cashew on the side and top of the cake for decorations. And chilled before serving.